Thursday, January 29, 2009

Favorites...

I was tagged by Empress and Desert Veil to list my favorites so here goes...

NOTE: You have to add one additional "favorite" thing to the end of the list when you answer

Favorite color: So hard to choose... I like so many and it depends on the context, for example, I like Purple for clothes, but not so much for hair or walls of a room or cars. I like black for clothes, hair and cars but again not walls, flowers and especially not teeth, same for brown (except I don't like brown cars).... I can't pick a favorite color, but I have a lot of black clothes but maybe that is because I have been pretty poor until lately so had to make everything match with my black shoes.

Favorite perfume (guys): A lot of perfume gives me a headache, I can only take light scents. I smelled one the other day that I liked, but I don't know what it is called.

Favorite perfume (girls): Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes

Favorite pj brand: I like wearing African mumus to bed.

Favorite clothes brand in general: I like shopping at GAP, Banana Republic, Promod, Zara, Monsoon, and Mango. ( I know that is not one but I don't have any one that prefer over others)

Favorite person(s) in the entire world: My Babies

Favorite country: Kenya (I also like Zanzibar -which is sort of a mini country)

Favorite car: I don't pay much attention to cars, but Porsche Cayenne is nice and I like my Range Rover :)

Favorite sport: Well, to watch: soccer or basketball I guess, but I enjoyed squash when I started to learn that. If knew how, I think I would like Horseback riding.

Favorite sport player: N/A

Favorite spot in America: It was my grandparents' house on the Chesapeake, but Mimi (my Grandmother) sold it after my Grandfather the love of her life died, so now I guess it is my hometown. But as far as cities go, I liked Miami.

Favorite animal: Panther

Favorite movie: East is East

Favorite singer: Freddie Mercury (Queen) was and always will be the greatest vocalist ever.
& (for those who don't know) Freddie Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara on the island of Zanzibar.

Favorite day in the week: Friday

Favorite time of the day: Evening

Favorite holiday season: Back home it was the time around Thanksgiving and Christmas

Favorite number: 7

Favorite food: I have many, but I am definitely not a Vegetarian - I like Mexican food, Iranian Food and North Indian Food (Non- Veg).

Favorite chocolate: Dark Chocolate

Favorite cartoon: Well, I like a lot of cartoons, right now I kind of enjoy Total Drama Island, but Family Guy and The Simpsons are also great.

Favorite blogger: I don't like to play favorites when it comes to people.

Favorite Flavor Ice Cream: Mint chocolate chip, but Ice cream always regurgitates a few minutes after it goes down and if I eat a whole serving I get terrible acidity. I don't know why.

Favorite Mobile Brand: Don't know and don't care. But I am using a blackberry for work now.

Favorite name: Well, for girls - mine 'cause it's special :p and for boys... I always liked all the "el" names
In the Ancient Hebrew Language in which these name are first recorded the word "El" refers to God (not his name but is the word meaning God) so the meaning of all those names have something to do with God. Samuel / Ishmael (Ismael) = God heard / listens; Emmanuel = God is with us; Daniel (Daanyal/Danial) = God is my Judge; Gabriel (Jabril)= God's able bodied one or God's hero; Michael (Mika'il) = one who resembles God; Nathaniel = God has given. I also love my sons' names... Salman and one of the names (Arabic variations) mentioned above :) When I was looking for a name for my younger son, I really researched the meaning of names, and I found that when looking at Arabic / Muslim variations of names of great prophets they often did not have a meaning specified, For example If i looked up the name Ismail it would say "name of a prophet" as if that were the definition. I soon realized that the best way to find the actual meaning of such old names was to trace them back to the Ancient Hebrew version in which they are first recorded (historically). I think the meanings are beautiful.

Favorite hobby: Painting

Favorite room in my house: My bedroom.
Favorite Fruit: Mangostein - if you haven't had one, you don't know what you are missing.

Favorite flower: Bougainvillea

Favorite Word: Don't really have one If you mean by "most frequently uttered" then it might be 'oh crap' because I say it under my breath every time I get summoned into my boss' office :-S - but that is two words. But if you mean by how it sounds, then obsequious has to be one of my favorites because it sounds just like what it means.

Added: Favorite (non religion associated) historical figure: Abraham Lincoln & Favorite Dessert: Key Lime Pie


I don't tag anyone I know with a blog, because I think they have all been tagged :( so I tag anyone reading this who feels like doing it who hasn't been tagged yet.

5 comments:

Empress Anisa said...

Only you... my kinda girl

Empress Anisa said...

My darling... you've been tagged!

http://thebarefootempress.blogspot.com/2009/02/mom-of-year-award.html

o0UmmHasan0o said...

salam dearest.. i love your blog.. masha'Allah just wish i commented more... i will from now on.. insha'Allah

so..

here is...

come and choose an award! http://o0ummhasan0o.blogspot.com/2009/02/companions-award-tag-check-in-here.html

Lisa said...

Great list! I really like your favorite name choices. But, what is Mango? I've oddly never heard of it. I really feel I have much in common with you-also a big Freddie MErcury fan!

desertmonsoon said...

Hi Lisa,

Mango is a store - it sells women's clothing, kind of like Zara - if you know what that is. I like their stuff, it looks nice and isn't too expensive.

I have read your blog and I think there are some things we have in common. I don't get the time to blog as much as I would like so I haven't revealed that much about myself yet, but I can see some similarities, in our lives and some things we have experienced.