Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Arabian Ghost Town





This past Friday we did something a little different than our usual - wake up late, go have lunch at Chilis, do something at the mall, etc. - routine.


"A", who is a photography buff, and a friend of his from billiards also named "A" (and herein to be referred to as "A2") who also likes taking photographs, took us to an old deserted village by the sea here. Al Jazeer Al Hamra, is a ghost town of abandoned old Arabic houses, crumbling mosques and shops. I had told "A" before how I wanted to go see old places around here and take pictures so I can get ideas for paintings (I am not very big on painting modern looking buildings or people wearing modern western style clothing - it is boring - though I don't mind if they are wearing modern versions of traditional kinds of clothes, like kandora, abaya, Jilabeeya, Shalvar Kameez, Sari, etc.

Anyway, in true local fashion, "A" kind of forgot to mention this plan and only informed us when they were ready to go, so the boys were just wearing regular house clothes. I told him that if he had told us longer before just showing up at our gate, I would have made them wear kandora - then we could have taken some nice photos of them too in that setting. So he said "insha' allah next time."


The place was truly amazing and the kids had a great time exploring the crumbling houses and towers.


I thought I would share a few photos with you all here.






















9 comments:

Ahavah said...

what an amazing place... I wonder what it was like when it was populated?

Gosh your boys are getting tall... last picture I saw they were 'this' (holds hands apart) big...!

Lisa said...

Oh I love them! I know they're way too old for pinching cheeks, but mashallah they are heartbreakers habibty. Love the long hair! I'm so glad you broke out of the Chili's routine for a week, this looks so fun....You are so right about boys. Can you imagine this adventure with little girls? Mashallah for Allah's precious gifts to us habibty. Love you endlessly. Thank you for the sweetest birthday comment for Youssef. We love you very, very much.

desertmonsoon said...

Ahavah, yeah it is really strange how the whole place is deserted...

Yes I can't believe how big my boys are - that is why I am starting to have urges for another baby. It seems like only yesterday they were tiny and now...

Lisa, thanks - some of my family when they saw the pictures didn't seem too keen on the hair but I like his hair long.
Believe me Lisa Youssef is the biggest blessing that God can ever give you - so whenever you feel down like you have never had anything very good happen (which I know I do at times) just look at him and remember that. You are not alone you have him and if you love him and care for him with all you have - he will always be there for you as well when he is older.

Lisa said...

This comment made me smile so much. I love you for the sake of Allah sweetie. Marrying these doofuses was totally worth it to have these sweet little boys!

Pu├ža said...

The ghost town is beautiful, but your sons are really cute and handsome!! Love the long hair!!!

desertmonsoon said...

yes it is a beautiful place - i want to go back and take more photos.

Thanks :)

Angry In Oman said...

ooo I love ghost towns and abandoned buildings in general.

Nice pics!

L_Oman said...

Awesome pics! You've inspired me to post some 'ghost town' pics from Oman on my blog now!

desertmonsoon said...

Hi Angry - thanks - I love ghost towns too, I would love to go take pictures at night, I think that would be really nice an eerie.

L Oman thanks - yeah please do post your pics too! and also post where these ghost towns are - we live close to the Oman Border and I drive to Oman once a month to change my kids' visas - if I know of where to visit, I would do more than just go to the border and make a u-turn.