Sunday, June 7, 2009

Please call before stopping by....

I sat through three boring hours of meeting this morning while freezing my butt off. The CEO called a Department Head meeting and as usual he talked, and talked, and talked, and talked...... by the time I got out I was so cold and bored that I was mentally and physically numb.


I'm feeling kind of smug today and amusing myself by top management's reaction to the new lock on the Executive Office door.


The Operations department FINALLY installed the automatic lock on the door leading to the CEO's and DDG's offices, so people can't just waltz straight in without getting permission.


For most of the employees, this is no big deal, and it makes no difference to their lives because they wouldn't dare barge into the CEO's office uninvited anyway, and in fact, they are scared shitless in his presence and therefore would not WANT to do that, even if they could.


But there are a select few who always reveled in the power and importance they thought they had. They used to walk straight in an interrupt him "hey everybody look at me, look at how important I am, I can just pop in and address the CEO by his first name without being fired on the spot." OK, they don't actually say that, but I can tell they are thinking it. Either that or they are the special pets of the DDG and regularly "pop in" to her office.


So, now with this new lock (which I ordered be installed), they have to ask if they can enter first, and if they are allowed, they will be buzzed in. Such people really hate having to ask secretaries for permission because they assume they are higher beings than mere secretaries.


All morning, I have been watching as certain people try to open the door, can't open it, look puzzled try again, then notice the box fixed next to it with numbers on it, try to push random numbers - as if they think that will work, or maybe they would rather act like they knew the code and just forgot it (because they are so important naturally they would be told) than simply admit that they don't know, that they aren't "special" enough to have been told and ask us to let them in. The funny thing is, I have no idea why the numbers are there because the only way I know to open it involves a card, which only Fatema, Security, the DDG and I have - the CEO would lose his so he isn't allowed to have one - or pushing the buttons at our desks, so there is no "special code" that only the select few have.


Once they finally admit defeat, they have different ways of handling it.


The IT Director seemed quite miffed by it all and said that he should have been aware of this. I asked him "why? it's just a lock, what does it have to do with IT?" I mean really, just because it is electric he needs to know about it? Then why isn't he interested in the damn A/C above my desk? Actually the IT Director is quite a nice guy and isn't much of a bother,but he still seemed pissed off by the lock.


Another Department head, one of the worst walk-straight-in-without-permission offenders, poked at the pad for a while, and then, instead of asking to be let in said "just buzz me in will you" - he was in denial. I told him that "just buzzing him in" without asking the CEO first would kind of defeat the purpose of the whole lock in the first place. On a completely unrelated note, this Director is Indian, and I had a dream the recently that I was at work. It was a completely normal working day, except that this guy had dyed his hair blonde. People say dreams have meanings but I can't figure out what the point of that dream was. He wasn't even a main part of it, but at one point he walked past and his hair was blonde.


HH, the Chairman, was the only person, who is used to walking straight in that doesn't seem bothered by it. In fact he looked at it, smiled, then asked Fatema about it. Of course he knows that, unlike everyone else, he actually has the right to walk straight in and no one can tell him no. He seemed impressed by the door though and he told her she is a genius. Hey it was my idea!! :( sniff sniff. She told him that it was my idea (she is too sweet to take credit for something that is not her idea) but he was already walking away. I am convinced he thinks I am an imbecile. Usually he ignores me, but occasionally he will do something strange like wink at me slightly, and the other day he walked in straight towards us and said hey and raised both of his hands in the air. Neither one of us has a clue what that was about. Fatema thinks that greeting was meant for me, but if it was I have no idea why. Its not like we are old buddies or have some long standing joke that involves us greeting each other that way. Or maybe that's just how he greets imbeciles? Another reason why he usually ignores me might be that I don't speak Arabic and he doesn't have a clue what my name is. I am sure he has been told, but most people don't get it and if they see it spelled than they get even more confused. That means the only option they have left is to speak to me only when they can make eye contact with me.


He's not a bad guy, but I think that he thinks I am weird. Don't ask me why I think that, it is just a feeling.

Ok, I guess that is enough rambling on for today....

7 comments:

Ahavah said...

I am now utterly and totally convinced that you are the ghost writer for Scott Adams....

you are aren't you?

http://dilbert.com/blog/

Puça said...

hahahah
daily stories are the best!
Like your descriptions of reactions of those persons that think are entitled to get in..
And your boss greeting hahha
In fact being in your position allows you to see how people really is so I guess you're a great life observer.

desertmonsoon said...

who is Scott Adams?

Puca, really I still wonder what that greeting was about. I couldn't think of any reason why he would greet me or Fatema that way... anyway, it was a friendly greeting, though we probably embarrassed him by just staring at him with surprised looks on our faces.

Puça said...

I think he was grateful because this lock has improved his peace at work, and this weird greeting was 1/2 greeting, half..why didn't i have this idea before...

Ahavah said...

He writes and draws the Dilbert cartoons (see left you link ;) )... but here is what wiki has to say

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert

In it is a secretary called Alice - who is a ace archer (nasty smirk)... having been a secretary/pa for most of my working life... I know EXACTLY where you are coming from....

Enjoy.... but use this new knowledge wisely...

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/12/man-fired-for-p.html

desertmonsoon said...

Puca,
actually the lock hasn't changed much for the chairman, his office is at the rulers court, he just pops into the CEO's office on a daily basis

what do you mean by half greeting?

Ahavah, AH ok i know dilbert :) and wasn't there some movie based on it a while back - i forgot the name...

Puça said...

May be I'm lost in translation... I mean that when you describe the greeting "he walked in straight towards us and said hey and raised both of his hands in the air", and you didn't know why it was, I find this greeting expression as being a greeting and at the same time a why didn't I had this idea before!
Is not that is a half greeting.
But is just an outsider interpretation :o)