Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What's up with that???

I spend a lot of time wondering What's up with that? about a lot of things that happen around me here. Things like....

1. The lady who replaced me is from South Africa and is a Muslim - a convert obviously, since she is from an Afrikaaner background. I don't have any problem with that part; acutally, I don't have a problem with her at all. But what I find weird is the way she dresses. I mean, she just wears regular western clothes - including shirts with very short sleeves, sometimes made of kind of sheerish blouse material so you can kind of see her bra through it. Sometimes they are low enough you can even see a peek of cleavage too. She also wears trousers that aren't super tight (she is about 50 after all) but definitely show her shape. Her hair is cut really short too, and she doesn't wear hijab, so you can see her whole neck and ears and all that. Considering that I am always freezing in the arctic climate we have in the office and thus wear long sleeves with sweaters over them most of the time, I usually am dressed more modestly than she is. She is fasting during Ramadhan, but she is still dressing this way. So every time I see her, I wonder what's up with that?
If she was born into a Muslim family, I wouldn't wonder as much, because people don't always buy everything they are taught by their parents. That is why you find a lot of nominal followers of various religions. They say "I am Christian" or "I am Muslim" or whatever for the sake of family or culture but they haven't really taken the time to believe it and love it for themselves. But converts are usually very fervent and very strict. And I guess, especially in the case of a religion like Islam, which doesn't just lay down what you should believe but also seems to have a lot of lifestyle rules for dress, diet, etc. that are religious mandates, I alway assume that people who have chosen that religion would follow everything. Anyway, I just find it odd... and I'm incredibly nosy so I really want to know what her reasoning is there...

Speaking of her. I went up to her the other day to ask her how it's going - I actually meant Ramadhan and all that - but she thought I was talking about the job. She confessed (after only one month in that position) that she is beginning to regret taking it or wonder why the hell she left teaching. I didn't realize she was a teacher before, when she told me, I said "you must be nuts, if I had the teaching certfication, I wouldn't even consider this kind of job." So - again - what's up with that?! I mean who in their right mind would leave working with children and having nice hours and the whole summer off, to working for corporate @#%&@s?

**********************

2. I have road rage, I really shouldn't drive. The traffic isn't even bad here, but I still am impatient and angry when driving. Of course, it is largely due to the inordinate number of idiot drivers on the road. No one here drives normally, it either has to be way too fast or so slow that the driver could literally get there just as fast walking. There was this car going around the round about in front of me and it was literally going around it so slowly that it was jumping around - like it would if you tap the gas and then braked immediately and then did it again repeatedly. Lord help that driver if he /she ever finds himself in Dubai at the Trade Center roundabout .

Of course my favorite two types of driving related idiocy are
1) when someone in the middle lane manages to hog all three lanes at once. He wavers back and forth between them, not allowing anyone to get around him because they can't anticipate which direction he will meander next.
2) when you are in the fast lane and someone in the lane next to you is sooo desperate to get in front of you (though you are driving fast) and get around the slow poke in front of them that they gun it, quickly swerve in front of you but then immediately brake and proceed to drive as slowly as the person they were trying to get in front of, who is now driving exactly beside them in the other lane - thereby trapping you at their turtle speed. Or you are happily speeding down the open highway, no one in front of you, no one behind you, and a car waiting to turn onto the road, hits the gas really hard just so they can get out infront of you but then does not continue to accelerate - forcing you to brake really hard. Really, WHAT is up with THAT?! Why do they absolutely NEED to get infront of you only to slow down? Why if they think it is their god given right to drive at the speed of an inch worm on tranquilizers do they need to be in the fast lane, why couldn't they have let you pass first? Why can't they just pick a lane and stick with it?

***************

3. The Chairman - HH - walked up to my desk on Sunday and asked me "you, what's your name?" and I said "qadfjafkljaslfj" and he said "what?" and i repeated "qadfjafkljaslfj" and he said "not kadfjafkljaslfj?"(alternate pronunciation of my weird name) and I said "well you could say it either way" and then he just walked away. What is up with that? I've been paranoid ever since. Are they plotting something new against me? Not that I know that he he was in on anything that has happened to me, but who knows ... And I have been working here 15 months and he only thought to ask my name now? Today I found out that some staff have been invited to the Palace for Iftar, so another paranoid thought crossed my mind that maybe he had suggested that I be put on the list, but since I wasn't invited someone *cough CEO cough* chucked me off of it. But then I think, Why the hell would he care if I was put on the list or not? He didn't even know my name until this past Sunday.

10 comments:

Closed eyes... said...

You think a lot, lady. Like a real lot! I do agree with what you said about converts. They sure are more strict and all. I think this lady, you talked about, is still not loving the religion or maybe she would take time to get all used to it.

For the driving thing, I have just started driving and STILL I feel the same way :P

Lastly, thanks a million for dropping by at my blog. God bless.

Ahavah-Shim'eon said...

Actually I tend to shriek a lot when I'm driving... I'm even worse as a passenger...

its got that bad that I've taken to wearing a blindfold... but my mum says that she didn't think it was quite the thing driving with a blindfold on...

but you know it made ME feel a whole lot calmer... ;0D

Aynur said...

Hmmm. Well about your replacement's dressing ... there are many reasons why she might not wear hijab. Maybe she believes it's not required. The dress code is not found specifically in the Qur'an, but in the hadiths. Possibly she does not put much stock in the hadiths?
Or is not sure about hijab. I'm a convert but I don't wear hijab. I wouldn't dress in the manner she does, but everyone is different. Many converts cover completely right away, some never cover, some cover after a bit, etc etc.

desertmonsoon said...

Welcome closed and your are welcome :)

Ahavah, blindfolded hmmm? Remind me never to ride with you if the opportunity ever prevents itself :)

Aynur, I thought some of the stuff about dress was in the Quran, because I don't make a habit of reading hadiths and I know i read it somewhere... Anyway, whereever it is, most of the converts I've met who don't conver, converted because of marriage and they maybe haven't accepted everything about the religion

But she has never been married and has been a Muslim a while and living in an Arab abaya wearing country a while too... so I find it odd - there are a couple of Christian girls at work who wear abayas during Ramadhan at least just out of respect. Of course, it is her business and I am just nosy.. I don't look down on her for the way she dresses, am just really curious.

Candice said...

I am also curious about people a lot like that. :p You're not alone. I don't know what to say about her and the way she dresses though. No clue :p

desertmonsoon said...

Hi Candice, welcome... I am glad someone else wonders a lot about other people, sometimes I think I am strange...

Please excuse the typo-fest in my last comment, it comes from trying to type with a kitten sitting on my keyboard attacking my fingers.

Pu├ža said...

About the dressing isuue...I can't understand it either..strange...

The driving...crazy hahah

the number spelling situation... if was to invite you they could have sent you an email or say it at that moment...don't feel guilty at all...

Aynur said...

Yes some of it is in the Qur'an. But the specifics (like only the face and hands are to be visible) are from the hadiths.
I converted before I met my husband, so I can only speak for myself. ;)

desertmonsoon said...

what is your conversion story... kind of off topic, but I would like to know what got you interested in Islam and all that.

Aynur said...

:D
I knew a few students in my college (I was kind of dating one, off and on) that were Muslim, and ended up staying with one of their aunts for a month as a nanny/helper for her little kids during winter break during Ramadan ... and took the Shahadah during that time.