Sunday, October 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Well, I finally made it back home after more than three years away. I do so right after this recent hurricane / tropical storm hit the east coast, so it was much colder than I expected. I spent the first several days bundled up in whatever clothes I could pile one on top of another in front of these little space heaters that looking surprisingly like real wood burning stoves.

I saw Grandpa - he's so old now... makes me sad... don't know if I'll ever see him again after this visit. I wonder what it feels like to have lived a few years shy of a century...

I also found out my Dad will be going in for surgery a few days after I leave... God help him :(

The boys are having a great time. S thank God has not yet reached the age where he sees girls as intimidating alien creatures - he just sees them as other kids and likes playing with them - I am not sure about some of the little girls though. He was sitting squashed into an arm chair with my friends daughter - who is already sprouting little booblets and though I think he was completely unaware of it she was blissfully aware of how close she was to him.

We've been doing a hair experiment - growing his hair out so that it is long - he had a mop of ringlets and he looks quite cool for a 12 year old. I think the small girls have taken note :)

Meanwhile little D has a gang of small kids who think he is super cool. Which is nice for him compared to back in UAE where the only kid they play with is a chunky 9 year old who treats him like crap and tries to exclude him from everything. My friend's son Moses announced loudly last night at my birthday dinner (yes I AM officially 39 :( ... ) that he and D are BFFs - I think he has been hanging out with his sister a little too much.

I went to the mall the other day - though I live in the land of malls - still was nice to go to one here. I love the store Anthropology - too bad I can't afford anything there ..... luckily I got some nice things for my birthday.

I have been having a love affair with bread since I got here, Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin Swirl to be exact... but all the bread is so much better here. Without even realizing it, I had cut most bread out of my diet back in the UAE - just because it isn't very tempting. But here I am gorging myself and unfortunately my waistline is taking note.

Well that's all for now... actually there is so much more but i don't know how to write it all here

5 comments:

.::Tuttie::. said...

alhamdulillah you and your boys are having a great time! May your father have a successful surgery and a speedy healthy recovery. AMEEN!

Enjoy your time here!

IamSilla said...

Salaaaam

ive been a silent reader all this time but its been like few months u r MIA so wc back :D i hope ur father will have a successful surgery inshallah. n the best :)

Silla

misfithausfrau said...

I've been wondering how you have been. I am glad you are enjoying your time back home. How long will you stay? Be well.

Saving... said...

May Allah make it easy on your father and grant him a quick recovery

desertmonsoon said...

Hi all - thanks for commenting - I know I haven't been writing much lately - have had lots of stuff going on with me - some bad, some good and some.. just stuff...

thanks for your prayers for my father - he had his surgery but is back in the hospital now due to some complication - god willing he will be OK.