Sunday, August 14, 2011

So lonely

Well I have been in Abu Dhabi now for exactly one month (on Wednesday it will be). The kids left more than two weeks ago to go to the US with my mom, because I haven't yet found a place to live, and I can't rightly keep two little boys holed up in a hotel room all day.

My mom tells me they spent the past weekend down at the beach there. My siblings, their spouses and my cousin all rented a big beach house and took their kids down there, and my kids joined. My (paternal) grandparents used to own a house at the same beach when I was little, and visiting it was part of the normal summer routine. This - along with visiting my maternal grandparents at their place on the Chesapeake Bay, and driving out to Wisconsin to visit my great grandparents' farm -was a very important part of my childhood and I am happy they got the chance to experience it too. This was their first visit to the Atlantic Ocean. The sea is very different there, and the waves much more dangerous than they are here or along the Indian Ocean coastline of East Africa - the only beaches they have ever seen until now.

I wonder how they enjoyed the boardwalk - the endless stalls selling waffle cones, greasy pizza, salt water taffy, ice cream, t-shirts, and the games and rides. I wish I could have been there with them.

I am glad they are having this interaction with extended family, but I miss them so much it hurts. It's so lonely without them - especially here since this is a new place and I don't really know much of anyone.

This past weekend I stayed in my room almost the entire time - I did go to the gym twice, but aside from that, my fun weekend activities included organizing my closet and going shopping for sanitary napkins and hangers.

The only good thing about this weekend was that someone from work took me out to dinner. But I wasn't sure why. It was a guy. I don't know if he was just being nice or it was supposed to be date. For some reason, I assumed it was a just being nice kind of thing but then when I told a friend she said she thinks it was a kind of date and that confused me and of course and made me feel more shy than I would have otherwise.

Plus he asked me to go, he picked the place, and I didn't know if I should pay too or not. I didn't want to offend (since he offered) but then I thought maybe I should - I felt kind of awkward at bill-paying time. Not sure how that is supposed to work. I know with my friends how it works, I know how it worked with my husband when I dated him, but I don't know about this person. He's Australian. I don't know how things work in Australia.

Anyway it was nice whatever it was. He is a nice person, interesting to talk to and for a while at least, it took my mind off my kids and my depression regarding not being able to find a nice place to stay.

1 comment:

Explorer said...

Hello :-)
Nice to see you blogging again. I use another account now but I've followed you since you started! It's always fun to go on a date if you're feeling down, hope everything sorts itself out soon,

Jaz :-)